Saturday, April 4, 2009

Yet another girl

No time for the shoulder press today, and I was thinking of skipping it anyway due to my planned Metcon: Elizabeth. My shoulders have been on the verge of being overworked lately, and I have also been doing a ton of HSPU work, ring dips, muscle up, and even working in some push jerk practice. I have probably only done the shoulder press 2 of the times I was supposed to. I might continue to add in some shoulder press when this CFSB is done (next week!), or I might just continue all of my HSPU work.

WOD 090404

Buy-In:
  • OHS
  • HSPU practice
  • Push Jerk
  • Clean and Push Jerk, working up to 95#
"Elizabeth"
21-15-9 reps for time of:
95# Squat Clean
Ring dips

13:16

More than pleased with this. It's my first time doing "Elizabeth" as Rx'd. Last time it took me 8:47, with 85# and the red band. My ring dips were slow, and I never got more than 3 in a row. I probably could have, but I didn't want to wear myself out. I was afraid of reaching muscle failure. I think I have sort of a mental block against ring dips though...I can do sets of 5 pretty easily, but when I get to them in a WOD, I never seem to get more than 3, and I quickly have to go down to sets of 2 or 1.

My cleans today felt spot-on. I could easily do several in a row. 95# just isn't heavy anymore. I feel like my form is really improving. I think I am still jerking the bar off the ground some, but I am working on that.

I'll continue to work my ring dips, now that my left shoulder is doing better.

Oh, I have been keeping track of food a bit better, but then today I ate brunch out (Huevos Rancheros - lots of eggs/cheese/beans. Probably the best choice of where I was, but I should have just eaten at home.). Dinner will also be out. It's a celebration for my cousin's birthday. Yay more mexican. I should be back on track tomorrow, hopefully. I think I've just been over-eating a tiny bit. Not much, but I feel sluggish, so maybe if I can knock it down a couple hundred calories (i.e. a couple of spoonfulls of peanut butter) a day, I will feel lighter/faster/stronger.

I think my brother got some good footage of me during the end of Elizabeth, so I should hopefully have a cool video tomorrow :)

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Peyton Knippel said...

Great job on Elizabeth.

I notice you're doing buy-ins/cash-outs. They seem to be all the rage and it appears rightfully so. I plan on integrating them into my daily routine after my cert is over this weekend. My question is, how long have you been integrating this and is the improvement tangible yet?

April 4, 2009 at 7:52 PM  
Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

Nice Elizabeth. You've got the opposite challenge from me. I can crank the dips, but the cleans slow me down.

Sounds like our shoulder presses have gone the same way - getting missed more often than squats and DLs. I'm likewise planning on keeping regular pressing workouts going while I switch to more of a metcon/skill focus than strength as the Qualifiers approach.

When you say you're keeping better track of food, does that mean you're logging your food again? You better be, if you're thinking of cutting back.

April 4, 2009 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Peyton - I really like the "buy-in". I don't usually do a "cash-out". Quite frankly, I think that after my metcon I shouldn't have enough in me to do a "cash-out", but I think that some days, then maybe it'd be good. I've been integrating this for just a couple of months. I'd say the improvements are tangible....basically all I'm doing is specifically adding skill work/GTG to the beginning of my workout. I often just do my skill work in place of a warm-up. Not sure if that's the best idea though.

Patrick - God, I wish I could do ring dips like you could. I'd have a helluva Elizabeth time then! I think overhead stuff might be my biggest weakness - except the OHS. I definitely need to work it more, so I am pissed that I have missed so many days of it.

And yes, I am logging my food. I did yesterday (on thedailyplate.com), except I haven't put in dinner yet. I was going to today and then I got all screwed up by eating out. I don't like to log it if it is an estimate - I have to WAM or else I feel like logging it is a waste of time. I should be able to WAM tomorrow, and from here on out....

Oh, and thanks for the props, guys!

April 4, 2009 at 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home