Wednesday, April 1, 2009

There's 2 kinds of people in this world...

Those who, when doing "Karen", walk away from the ball. And then there's those who don't. I think you can tell a lot about somebody by which category they fall into.

Today is a glorious rest day. I don't know what I would be able to accomplish today, if it weren't. Yesterday just about finished me off.

WOD 090331

Buy In:
Push Jerk @ 45# and 75#. I feel much stronger/more stable/better on these when I don't actually leave the ground.

Deadlift 3-3-3
  • 95x5x2
  • 135x5
  • 165x2
  • 185x1
  • 205x3
  • 215x3 PR, so I stopped here
Deadlift 12-9-6 @ 155#. This felt relatively easy, but I could really feel it in my ass.

"Karen" 150 Wallball shots for time. 14# ball, target centered at 10.5 feet. 9:32

(When I put up our wallball targets, I thought they were supposed to be bottomed at 10 feet, not centered. Oops.)

Anyway, I am stoked with this time. I thought for sure it would take me 15 minutes. I made my boyfriend stand there and yell at me whenever I put the ball down. I never took more than 5 breaths between sets, so even though I only did sets of 3-5 for most of it, I didn't rest very much. I had some trouble counting, but if anything I think I might have done too many. I finished a lot closer to Meriah than I thought I would, so I second guessed my counting. I guess I was just "on it" yesterday.

I apologize for my really long, sometimes boring videos. I am working on getting an editing software that works for me - one that I can use to fast forward, and do slow-motion, etc. I'm not very good at this "creative" thing, and I am pressed for time. I use my videos to analyze my movement and my attitude. Like, in the following video, notice how with each rep of the Clean and Jerk, I am jerking with my arms more and more. Also, I notice how I tend to hop forward under the jerk, and my legs tend to split, too. All this tells me that my jerk needs some serious work. Here it is:

Jenna does 100# squat C&J, 30 reps for time. LONG video, unedited from Jenna Rettenmayer on Vimeo.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Meriah said...

That was the longest 8.5 mintues of Mikey's life! So long he has to sit on you afterwards.

I'd say you aren't really committing to the jerk. You get it up there and then quick poke your head through quickly at the end. You are waiting until you stand up to push your head through. You want it locked out overhead before you stand don't you? More stable that way, ja? You need to get under the bar faster too. I think you are doing the splits because you aren't getting under the bar fast enough. You aren't fast under the bar because you aren't pushing the head through. And don't pull with your arms so much in the clean. :) haha

April 1, 2009 at 3:13 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Gosh, don't you work?!?!? Just kidding. I am working right now too....but I like to take breaks :)

strange that I can commit to a 110# snatch but not a 100# jerk. I need to work on that. Of course, then I might end up dropping 160# on my head...Oh! That's what happened to you! That explains the deadlifts.... ;)

Faster under the bar...you sound like Steve. Maybe if I get faster under the bar I can get that 140# jerk, too :)

Oh, and Mikey...yeah. Every time I go pee it's the longest 30 seconds of his life, waiting outside the door. What a mama's boy. hehe

April 1, 2009 at 3:24 PM  
Blogger Meriah said...

I am working! Saving the world one policy at a time?

Its true get under the darn bar faster! And you have 145# jerk and snatch if you commit!

FYI: I did not drop 160# on my head it was 170# thank you very much. You'll have to explain the deadlift joke I dropped 170# on my head, the part where the sense of humor is stored.

April 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Monday, we were supposed to back squat....but we deadlifted....remember?

April 1, 2009 at 3:47 PM  
Blogger Meriah said...

yes, I was making a joke back about being mentally derranged since the dropping incident.

April 1, 2009 at 3:51 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Oh. I see. very funny.

April 1, 2009 at 3:54 PM  
Blogger Meriah said...

You're special!

April 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

Love the 2 kinds of Karen people bit. I've only become someone who holds onto the ball in the last several months, although I think that's a function of getting much better at racking the wallball and moving faster, so I could still be a walker at heart. Am I allowed to walk away from the bar during Elizabeth?

Sounds like Meriah has your jerk diagnosed. I don't suggest it for everyone, but you could try putting more weight on the bar. Then you'd have to commit to getting under it.

April 2, 2009 at 4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home