Thursday, March 19, 2009

More rolls, please

I wish I had more belly rolls. Contrary to what you might think, I believe that the number of rolls a person can create on their belly is inversely related to their body fat percentage. I decided so this morning when I was trying to create a fat roll in order to prove to my boyfriend that I really was "fat". Of course, it's all one big joke. I mean, yeah, I would love to get rid of all the extra fat sitting around my lower belly, but I'm not really concerned.

All this was sparked by me stepping on the scale at the gym, which is, of course, a huge mistake. Not only was I fully clothed, but I was drinking coffee, water, and had already eaten breakfast. That's gotta account for, like, 10 pounds, right? ;)

But then, I set a deadlift PR (finally!!!). So, who cares? It just goes to show you that the only weight that matters is the one on the bar.

Now, time to catch up on the last 2 days of workouts. I haven't been slacking, I've just been extremely busy. Today is no different.

Wednesday, March 18.

Front Squat 5-5-5 (this was frustrating)
  • 45x5x2
  • 75x5
  • 95x3
  • 115x2
  • 135x5
  • 145x5
  • 155x2 (damn)
  • 150x4 (I think I had that fifth rep, but for some reason I couldn't concentrate on anything except my right index finger which was hurting like hell. Clearly, I wasn't in the mood to lift).
Back Squat 95# for 20 reps. Um, this was too easy.


Metcon:

85# Thrusters, 50 reps for time.

6:58

Food yesterday: Not measured. I ate more fat than normal, and more protein, too. About the same on carbs.

Today, March 19.

7:30-9 a.m. session (included lots of playing around with skills)

Skill work: HSPU. I finally figured out how to use the assistance bands effectively to work on my HSPU. I was not making progress using the kip against the wall. It's that last couple of inches down (and up) that kills me, and using the kip makes it so I don't have to push through that. I used the red band, which really doesn't offer a whole lot of help. I focused on keeping my core tight and keeping that hollow position, and it was much easier to do the HSPU that way.

Lifting: Originally planned a shoulder press session, but my shoulder has been kind of tweaked lately. Strangely it didn't hurt during HSPU at all. Anyway, because I missed my deadlifting last week I opted to deadlift instead, but I went for a 1RM. I haven't PR'ed the DL since last July, and I had my boyfriend with me this morning. His job was to trick me into setting a PR, because I think it's mostly in my head.

Deadlift:
  • 55x5
  • 95x5
  • 125x3
  • 185x1
  • 185x1
  • 195x1
  • 205x1
  • 220x1 PR
  • 225Fx1,000,000
I actually used a regular overhand grip for all of those lifts, which is rare. Usually I switch to reverse grip around 155, but I need to work on my grip, so I thought I'd try to do the normal grip for as long as possible.

I plan to do my metcon around 2:30 or 3 p.m, in the warm sunlight :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

Awesome, Jenna. New DL PRs are the best, because when they come, it means you just lifted more weight than ever before by any means. Impressive work on those thrusters, too. That's weight I need to move 45 times for my 1/2 BW test. Getting them unbroken seems to be a sticking point. :-0

Good idea with the bands for the HSPU. I need to pay attention to doing mine in a nice hollow position, too. As you can see by my avatar, when I'm in HSPU hell, my HS form goes to shit.

March 19, 2009 at 2:06 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Ah, I was trying to remember what the 1/2 BW thruster test was. I thought maybe it was 50 reps, and I would have to use 65# for that. 45 reps? You think you can do your 45 reps unbroken? Hmmm...the challenge is on!

Yeah the bands work great. It's still hard to squeeze out 4 or 5 reps, but do-able. I think I will make progress with this. Do you think this will help my shoulder press too? I was thinking it wouldn't because usually I get stuck on the shoulder press more around eye-level....I guess I should start working some HSPU on parallettes too.

March 19, 2009 at 2:11 PM  
Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

Yeah, you need parallettes to get past the common sticking points for the SP. I need to start packing my parallettes for my HS skill practice days, because that definitely has great transferrence to overhead strength.

And no, I don't think I can get the 45 thrusters unbroken, but I sure as hell am going to try. Last time out, it took me around 5 minutes to do 55 1/2 BW thrusters, and while I didn't put the bar down, I did leave it resting on my back for part of it, and that's no good. According to Dave Werner, rest must be done in the front rack or overhead.

Need to figure out where to put this in my CFSB program. Maybe as one of two metcons on a SP or metcon day. We gonna choose a day for a long-distance throwdown? :-)

March 19, 2009 at 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home