Sunday, March 15, 2009

Run to the Pub

I can barely walk today. Yesterday was the Run to the Pub 10k. The morning was cold and slightly overcast, but it cleared up by race start. The race organizers had buses that transported all the runners from the finish line up to the start. The buses dropped us off early and there was a HUGE line for the porta-potties. I opted to drop-trou by a parked car for a last-minute bladder emptying.

My strategy was the start the race relatively slow. I was cold, I couldn't feel my feet, and I was afraid of going out too fast. The course was a straight away for the first couple of miles, so I decided that when the road turned I would try to kick it up a bit. I was focused on running POSE. I'm not very good at it - I haven't practiced enough to make it second nature. I was definitely over-thinking it yesterday.

Around mile 2 my calves started cramping and my right IT band was seriously hurting. Damn. That's the one thing I was afraid of. I considered stopping and stretching, or stopping to walk. I was having a hard time keeping up with the crowd and was starting to get passed more and more. Suddenly, around mile 3-ish, I decided to forget about POSE and just run. I started passing people left and right. Of course, that's about the part of the course that ventured onto the trail system, which was covered in snow, and so to pass people I had to run in the deeper snow on the side of the trail. I was heel-striking a bit, but I was still leaning forward and pulling my feet up as fast as I could. Sort of a hybrid POSE method.

Anyway, i ended up finishing in 44:22, which is a PR by nearly 8 minutes!!!! I was blown away by my time. I thought I would set a PR, but I was expecting to run somewhere in the neighborhood of 48-50 minutes. I think if I was focusing less on the POSE method of running, I would have run a faster race. I just need to practice more, and hopefully it will become more second-nature.

I could hardly walk today though. My calves are soooo tight and sore. My right IT band is also pretty sore. I have a massage scheduled for tomorrow, thankfully. I got a gift certificate for a massage for my birthday, and I tried to schedule a massage for Thursday or Friday, but the soonest I could get in was Monday. Suddenly, I am glad for that :)

Today, I was going to rest, but we decided to tackle "J.T." (21-15-9 reps of: HSPU, ring dips, Pushups). It's all upper-body, so the fact that I couldn't walk didn't matter, right? In the middle of the workout I decided to switch to 15-12-9, because by the time all 3 of my workout buddies had finished their 21 HSPU, I was on number 12. This was going to take me all night.

I finished in 14:47, and I used a purple band for the dips. I thought I could either do all my dips one at a time with no help, or I could do sets of 5-ish with the purple band. Clear choice for this WOD :)

Looking forward to tomorrow's rest day, massage, and sleeping-in (last chance 'til Sunday).

3 Comments:

Blogger Ev said...

Fast 10K and huge improvement. 8 minutes! Wow. Look at you go :)

March 16, 2009 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger CariFin Games said...

Great improvement 8 minutes.. tThat's fantastic.... But you should stick to the Pose... less injury.... faster running.

Wayne
http://funfitnessfriendship.vox.com

March 16, 2009 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Thanks guys :) I'm pretty happy with this.

Wayne, I am definitely faster running NOT POSE. I wonder what I am doing wrong. Obviously something....I'll have to break out the video camera.

March 17, 2009 at 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home