Monday, March 2, 2009

Change of pace

I spent last week in Park City, UT, skiing (yes, skiing. It's the only time I've been to Utah in the spring without my mountain bike.) Wow, what a change of pace. No waking up at 4:20 a.m.. Not to mention that on Monday I was mountain biking in 60 degree weather, and on Wednesday I was skiing in, well, actually, it was about 40 degree weather.

The snow was awful, but the skiing was still pretty fun.

The highlight of my vacation included my trips to CrossFit Park City where I had the pleasure of being coached by Chris Spealler. If you are ever near Park City, his gym is worth the visit. It's a cool gym with an even cooler coach. I managed to get in 3 WODs while I was down in Utah.

WOD 090225
CrossFit PC WOD:

5 Rounds for time of:
  • 3 Rounds Cindy (1 round = 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats)
  • 5 Clean and Jerks, heavy (I used 95#)
22:59

Skiing: 15,600 vertical feet

WOD 090226
Skiing: 18,200 vertical feet

WOD 090227
CrossFit Park City WOD:
100 ft walking lunges
21 pullups
21 situps
100 ft walking lunges
18 pullups
18 situps
100 ft walking lunges
15 pullups
15 situps
100 ft walking lunges
12 pullups
12 situps
100 ft walking lunges
9 pullups
9 situps
100 ft walking lunges
6 pullups
6 situps

13:05

Skiing: 20,000 vertical feet

Saturday, Ben and I attended the Dutch Lowy training seminar. It was a great experience. Dutch is a great guy. He's super friendly, funny, engaging, smart, and a good speaker, too. We learned about programming (good versus bad workouts), training (intangibles and responsibilities of being a trainer), and other random things. Chris went over the 9 movements that we are responsible for being able to train people at for the Level 2 cert. THEN, I had to teach the Overhead Squat to my peers, with no warning, and in front of Spealler and Dutch. I completely idolize those guys, so needless to say, it was an intimidating experience to perform in front of them and be critiqued afterward.

I feel like I did terrible, but I know that I never do as poorly as I think I do. I know what mistakes I made. I know what I need to work on. Overall, I am glad that Chris made me get up (first, might I add) and teach a movement. I am bummed because if I hadn't been so nervous I think I would have done a lot better and been more impressive. But, I can't change the past, so I have to just learn what I can from the experience and hope that Chris is a grader at my Level 2 cert so I get another chance to WOW him :)

We made up a WOD based on our least-favorite exercises. Lucky for me, though, I happen to LIKE the exercises that were the most-commonly hated. I didn't think it was that bad.

WOD 090228

5 Rounds for time:
12 OHS, 55#
7 Burpee Box Jumps, 20" box

6:32

Very happy with that. When I snatched the barbell to get ready to squat, it felt amazing. I hadn't had a snatch that felt that good in a LONG time. Dutch actually commented at the end of the day. He told me I should lift more. At first I thought he was saying I wasn't very strong, so I started to explain how I was starting the CFSB program in hopes to get stronger. He said "No, i mean, you should lift more. I saw you snatch the bar during the workout. It looked great!" (um, probably not his exact words. I was a little starstruck). I decided that on Sunday I would snatch if I got home early enough.

Sunday
WOD 090301

Snatch!

65 - a bunch of times
85 - a few times
90 - fail about 5 times
85 - once more
90 - nailed it once
95 - nailed it
100 - nailed it
105 - failed about a million times, including the one time I dropped it on my back. ouch.
100 - once more
105 - nailed it (old PR)
110 - nailed it (PR)
115 - scared of it. Plenty of height, just need to commit.

I just happened to have the camera out for this lift:


Jenna Snatches 110 -woot! from Jenna Rettenmayer on Vimeo.

I fell off the diet bandwagon while I was on vacation. Not too bad, but I am excited to be back at it!

I also used my new programming skills to program in some very exciting workouts for the next 2 weeks. I can't wait!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

Sounds like a great experience down there. I got in some skiing while you were gone, but nothing like that CF experience (which is to say, I haven't been to the gym in almost a week). Nice snatch. You've got a great receiving position. Um....No really.

March 2, 2009 at 4:34 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Hahaha, funny stuff.

Hope the skiing was better for you than it was for me. You should plan a trip to Park City. Even if the skiing sucks, you know you have a great back-up activity :)

March 3, 2009 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Keanne said...

Really solid snatch, Jenna! Impressive.

March 5, 2009 at 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home