Saturday, February 21, 2009

Embrace the Suck

Today's workout was one of those workouts that makes you question why in the hell you are doing this in the first place. I mean, really. This workout sucked. It was hard. Really, really hard.

But, it's not like I didn't know it would be hard. As soon as it showed up on CrossFit.com last Sunday, I wanted to do it. Why? I knew it would be hard. I hate rowing. I am starting to sort of like burpees, and I love to run. So, what could be better than:

3 Rounds for time of:
500m Row (at least it's first so I can get it over with)
21 Burpees (no, not 20. 21)
400m Run (collapsing on the floor after a run is much easier than after a row)

I was nervous. I was thinking about it when I was trying to fall asleep on Friday night. This morning, I had to work at 5:30 a.m., but then I traded someone shifts so I got off work at 11, in time to do the WOD in the "heat" of the day, at noon. (Incidentally, I have to go back to work at 5 p.m. to close the restaurant. Yay.) As soon as I realized I was going to get to do the WOD a few hours earlier than I thought, I got really nervous.

I was extremely hungry this morning, too. I ate both of my meals before 10 a.m., and was starving by noon. I suppose for this WOD it's better than being too full. I think it might have something to do with what I ate yesterday. More on that later.

Warm-Up
  • A gazillion Overhead Squats with a PVC
  • Some pullups - gymnastics kip with a band
  • A few situps
  • A couple of pushups, and burpees
  • Brief running drills
3 Rounds for time:
500m Row
21 Burpees
400m Run

17:18

Sweet.

My goal was under 17. My first row felt good, and I'm pretty sure it's the fastest row I've ever done as part of a WOD. I slowed down in the second row, and then even more in the third. I had my eyes closed for most of them, but I know they were slower. Wasn't "with it" enough to get split times. I wouldn't have been as fast without Justin yelling at me. I wanted to muster a "shut the fuck up" but couldn't find the breath or the energy.

My hope was to do the burpees all in a row, but that wouldn't happen. I ended up doing sets of about 3 for the most part. I did my first 7 in a row on the last set. I might have had some counting issues and did some extra burpees. My brother, Justin, thought I was done, but I thought I had 3 more, so I did 3 more.

The run was good. I am fairly sure that the third run was my fastest. Couldn't wait to be done. Justin was giving me split times, which I'm not sure I liked to have, but it definitely made me run faster the last run, hoping for under 17 minutes. So close. Well, sort of.

Okay, so, food yesterday. I was going to post yesterday, but I splurged on a flourless chocolate cake. It's from the Cafe I work at, so I could get the nutrition facts easily, but had to wait until this morning. Other than that, I had a good eating day. As it turns out, the cake isn't as bad as I thought. It's got almonds and hazlenuts in it, and not a lot of sugar.

1 slice of heavenly flourless chocolate cake:
  • Calories: 355
  • Protein: 8 g
  • Carbs: 21 g
  • Fat: 25 g
So, that brings up my daily total to (Friday, Feb 20):
  • Calories: 2447
  • Protein: 122 g (20%)
  • Carbs: 97 g (15.9%)
  • Fat: 168 g (61.8%)
Those percentages don't quite add up. Hmm. Well, I didn't want to upgrade to the Gold Membership of The Daily Plate, and that's the only way to add a custom food. If somebody reading this has a Gold Membership and wants to enter the info for my Flourless Chocolate Cake for me, and then I can add it to yesterday's menu, that would be rad. Also, the values are kind of off the top of my head. I left the piece of paper at work. But, my mind is like a steel trap when it comes to numbers, so I'm pretty sure they're right (Don't believe me? Ask me what my "insert name or description of any workout I have ever done" time is, and I will be able to tell you my time, as well as the time of my workout partners!). Even with that chocolate cake splurge, my carbs are still below 100 grams for the day!

I am wondering if my excessive hunger is due to my sugar splurge last night. Or, if the heavy lifting and lower calories is kind of catching up to me. I just ate my lunch. I'm not sure if I am going to make it through the day with only 1 more meal (and 3 lousy ounces of steak!)

And, I just realized I forgot to do my gymnastic work today. I think I'll go practice HSPU. I got my first HSPU the other day. I got 2 of them! I need to get more. "Diane" here I come!

And, for your viewing pleasure, here is a video of my awesome boyfriend picking up 500#. Incredible. He only weighs 180#!


Ben Dodge Picks up 500# - unedited video from Jenna Rettenmayer on Vimeo.

2 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

Awesome time on that WOD. I'm hitting it again in a month or so and was planning on shooting for sub-18. Looks like I've got an even higher standard to chase. (Yikes.)

As for mydailyplate, I don't have a gold membership and I enter custom foods all the time. It's set-up specifically so people can enter a brand that's not in the system yet and others can later search for it and use it - kind of open source. You can do the same with your restaurants cake, in case you feel compelled to break down and have another slice.

February 21, 2009 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Oh, I see that now. I don't know why I didn't see that before. Thanks for the tip.

I don't know that I could have done it so fast on a treadmill....isn't that where you did this WOD, at the globo? Of course, you were talking about getting it up to 10 mph....I definitely wasn't running a 6 minute mile pace! At least, I don't think I was.

February 21, 2009 at 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home