Monday, February 16, 2009

You call this a diet?

Today's calorie breakdown:
  • Calories: 2464
  • Protein: 116 g (18% of calories)
  • Carbs: 105 g (16.3%)
  • Fat: 188 g (65.7%)
That's me, on the Zone diet (12P/8C/24F). The Daily Plate says that I should be eating 2547 calories per day to lose 1 pound a week. Uh-huh. Who knows, they could be right. It sure makes me wish I had been tracking my food more religiously. I have absolutely NO idea how much I have been eating lately. I don't feel starved or deprived at all right now. I am even enjoying a glass of red wine with my dinner. I'm not even stuck on the Zone - I just figured this was a good starting point, and using the Zone block system makes it super easy to track my food. If I do this for 2 weeks, I will have a great idea of what I have been eating, so when I make changes, I can really figure out what what works for me or not.

Tomorrow I start training again. I think I have finally kicked this cold. I'm a little apprehensive though - I haven't taken this much time off since....summertime. It should be okay - it's only 3 days! I'm going to start off with "Cindy". I can't wait. I haven't done "Cindy" in months, and last time I did, it was with chest-to-bar pullups. I'm going to do it with regular ol' chinups tomorrow. I'm hoping for 20 rounds!

2 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

Good to see you logging your food, Jenna. I'm always amazed by the variability in calorie intake for zoners. I've seen it range from 110 calories per block to over 150. (You're in the latter camp.) It's a fine way to plan, and if you eat the same stuff all the time, it works fine as a management tool, since you're just adjusting on the universal more-less-the same scale. However, I find it exceedingly difficult to provide dietary advice without hard quantities and details on food choices. I think you'll find it this exercise to be extremely helpful in your nutrition-cap-wearing coaching.

February 17, 2009 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger jenna said...

Yeah, It's good to log food. I added a link to My Daily Plate food log, which I made public. Even though I am "Zoning", I pretty much designed this zone to fit pretty much what I already eat. Sticking to this "diet" helps me control the spontaneous, thoughtless snacking - glass of milk here, slice of cheese there. It all adds up, but I'd like to stick with a "diet" for 2 weeks to see if I gain weight, lose weight, etc, and how it affects my performance.

I'm actually trying to not eat dairy, and have been successful except for cream in my coffee. I also just found a source of raw milk, though mom won't give birth until March, hence no milk until then.

February 17, 2009 at 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home