Sunday, February 15, 2009

Am I Strong Enough?

I have to apologize for my slacking on my new blog. I am sick.

As a result, I've spent a couple of days NOT working out, but browsing other people's workout logs and results (yikes - check out, for example, Shana from CrossFit East Decatur. That chick is beastly) , and considering what sort of training program I should be doing. CrossFit dot com WODs? My own programming? Gant Grimes hybrid programming? CrossFit with a Strength Bias?

That all depends. Do I need to get stronger?

Here all my all-time PRs:
  • Deadlift: 215
  • Back Squat: 220
  • Front Squat: 198
  • Clean: 140
  • Jerk: 130
  • Shoulder Press: 87
Here are my recent PRs:
  • Deadlift: 215
  • Back Squat: 175
  • Front Squat: 165
  • Clean: 140
  • Jerk: 120
  • Shoulder Press: 83
All of those were with a bodyweight of 125-130. My current bodyweight is about 130.

So, as you can see, I'm not really very strong. I mean, that deadlift is just weak. I know that I shouldn't compare myself with other people, but I know girls my size with a deadlift of 280, or more. (And, I'm going to forget about Jodi Bainbridge for now, with a 3xBW deadlift).

But, let's take a look at my recent benchmark WOD results:
  • Helen 9:25
  • Fran 5:26
  • Angie 23:15
  • Jackie 9:31
  • Grace (85#) 4:12
  • Pullups: 24
  • Muscle Ups: 3
Not BAD. The most recent of those PRs was Fran, which was just a couple of weeks ago. I had been training for Man Fran with a friend of mine. We started with 5-3-1 reps, then went to 7-5-3, then 9-6-3, and then most recently 12-9-6. After just a month of that, I took 63 seconds off my Fran time. I think I might be on to something.

What I'd like to do is get stronger AND faster. I think the way to do this might be to try the CFSB program, at least for 1 cycle. I am going to take a couple of more days off, though. I am still sick, and I'd like to lick this cold before I resume training. I know that a strength biased program will require even more calories than usual, and I haven't been hungry at all right now. It's almost 1 p.m., and I've only eaten once today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home