Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Week 1, Day 1, WOD 2 and FOOD

I went on a little run today with the pups. It was so incredibly beautiful outside around 1 p.m. When I got home from the gym around 11, it was snowing outside. I ate some lunch, and surfed the net. A couple of hours later I took the pups out for a potty break, and couldn't believe the weather. I decided to take Mikey, the puppy, on a run by himself. No such luck. Sammy, our older dog, can hear me putting on my running shoes from all the way upstairs! I don't even know how she heard. These weren't even my normal running shoes! I hadn't even grabbed the leash yet! It's like she can read my mind.

So, I took both of them. Sam needs the exercise, Mikey needs the practice and socialization. They pulled me down the block, so I stopped and had a little chat with Sam.

Me: Samantha, you KNOW that you can't pull. You need to run beside me. You need to set a good example for Mikey. He doesn't know any better. The two of you combined practically outweigh me. It's icy out. I will turn around and go home if you keep pulling.

Sam: *wiggles, scoots closer, looks apologetically into my eyes, paws my leg, wiggles again*

Me: Do you understand me? You HAVE to chillax, girl.

Alright, we start running. Sam runs right beside me and never, not ONCE, for the rest of the run does she pull on the leash. She really does understand every word I say. Mikey, on the other hand, is completely clueless. He's only 5 months old though.

Okay, food today:
  • Calories: 2039
  • Protein: 110 g (20.5%)
  • Carbs: 95 g (17.7%)
  • Fat: 148 g (61.8%)
Um. Weird. I ate the exact same "zone" proportions as I did yesterday, but I ended up with 500 fewer calories. Actually, I would say that I ate even a little MORE today than yesterday, because I had an extra glass of wine in-between meals at a social business-networking opportunity that I went to. This zone thing is weird.

4 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

That's why I don't like the Zone system. Actual calories vary widely, despite all the emphasis on measuring. If you need to count almonds, you should at least count grams of fat, rather than assuming they're hiding in your meat. It's a very different day when steak is for dinner than when it's chicken.

I'm going to pull together a little research on this through the message boards.

February 17, 2009 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Right! And, the thing is, I ate very similar meals from one day to the next. Obviously they couldn't be exactly the same. Both breakfasts and lunch #1 had the same exact protein source. Lunch 2 differed in that instead of 2 oz of steak with 1 egg on day 1, yesterday i had 3 eggs. Dinner yesterday was salmon, the day before it was hamburger.

If I'm eating that similar of meals and getting crazy different results, then why "zone" it? I am SO glad I am tracking food on the daily plate. It's a real eye-opener.

February 18, 2009 at 6:15 AM  
Blogger Ev said...

A girl that loves her dogs and loves CrossFit?! You had me at "you've got to chillax girl." LOL. You're brave to run w/ two dogs in icy conditions.

February 21, 2009 at 9:45 AM  
Blogger Ev said...

Oh, and Patrick, I'd love to hear about your food research.

February 21, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home