Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Week 1, Day 1

New Training started today. I have decided to go with a CFSB-esque program. I need to get stronger. I have modified the program to fit my needs and desires. I love doing 3 days on, 1 day off, so that's what I am doing instead of the CFSB program laid out in the recent CrossFit Journal article.

Day 1 of each 3 day training cycle will be just a metcon - and it will be around 20 minutes or so, give or take. These will be my AMRAP in 20 minute days. OR, my Filthy Fifty days. OR, my 5k run days. You get the idea. This is my major deviation from the CFSB program laid out in the above-linked journal article.

On Days 2 and 3 of each training cycle I will do a focused lift. I will follow this order: Back Squat, Deadlift, Front Squat, Shoulder Press. I will include a short (and maybe heavy) metcon on those days.

Anyway, today, I did "Cindy".

Buy-In
  • Burgener Warm Up w/PVC
  • Squats, pullups, wallball, burpees, OHS
"Cindy" (AMRAP in 20 minutes of: 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats)
  • 17 Rounds (PR)
I was really, really hoping for 20 rounds. I was on-pace until almost 10 rounds. After 10 rounds, I looked at the clock and I had 9:50 left. (I was a few seconds behind because I had to start the clock AND turn up the music). At that point, I think I lost all motivation, knowing I wouldn't get 20 rounds. I was sure I'd get 18 rounds still, so I guess I didn't try as hard as I should have.

Interestingly, today was the first time I did Cindy where I felt like it was an aerobic workout. Usually I reach muscle failure so early on the pushups that I spend most of my time resting. Today, I was able to keep pushing and I was breathing much harder than ever before during this WOD.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied. I felt like crap when I woke up this morning. I wasn't able to fall asleep until about 11:30, and I wake up at 4:20 to go to work. I was tired and very hungry when I woke up.

I cannot fathom how people can get 26 rounds in Cindy, not to mention 36!!!

I will also include gymnastics skill work each day. I started today. I need work. Today I worked on some forward rolls, but I realized that I can't really do them because my back remains too arched. I went back to doing some basic somersaults, and even those need work. So, I worked on some hollow rocks. Yikes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

Sounds like you got caught in the expectations trap, Jenna. Remember that you're training for the Games and that your score in training doesn't matter - only that you get the most out of your training day.

Still, a good performance for coming off being sick and getting too little sleep. I had the same failure of will during Murph last week when not feeling my best. It's a thorny issue, but I think focus on goals can sometimes help you make the most of your training session when you get caught this way.

February 17, 2009 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Thanks for the kind words, Patrick. I feel a bit better now about my 17 rounds. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's WOD - hopefully I will get a bit more sleep tonight.

February 17, 2009 at 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home