Sunday, February 22, 2009

Almost a Man Fran

I'm going to keep this post short. I'll add some musings tomorrow, but I just want to get my WOD on "paper" before the night is up. I've been up since 5 a.m., slinging lattes, and then at the gym, and then out to dinner with Ben and his parents. We're headed to Park City, UT to go visit Spealler (I mean, to go skiing and visit Ben's sister) on Tuesday and we had to make plans. Always nice to get dinner :)

Warm-Up
  • 500m Row, slow-ish. I am really feeling yesterday's WOD.
  • Chest-to-bar Pullups, 3 sets of 5 on our new bars (large diameter, outside)
  • Pushups
  • Squats
WOD

Front Squat 5-5-5
  • 45x5x3
  • 75x5x2
  • 95x3x2
  • 115x5
  • 125x5
  • 135x5
That felt strangely hard. I am pretty darn tired today. I took a lot of warm-up. I was sort of coaching some athletes during open gym, and was getting in warm-up sets while they were out on a run or warming up. I have no idea what a 3RM for front squat is, but I knew that if I wanted to be able to do more next week, I had better stick with 135# today.

Skill Work: Snatch, 35# hang snatch and 65# full snatch

Haven't snatched in a while. That felt good. Really good. Must snatch more.

Metcon - 10 minutes or less

"Almost a Man Fran"
15-12-9 reps for time of:
95# Thrusters
Chest-to-Bar Pullups

9:43

That was really hard. My legs pretty much had nothing left. My back was still feeling that 20 rep DL set from 3 days ago. The only thing that felt good was the pullups, but my grip was totally giving out. I was going to do the whole Man-Fran today, but I knew I had to keep the metcon under 10 minutes, and I knew that the whole 21-15-9 would take me more than 10 minutes. On a good day, without some front squats first, I think I could get Man Fran in under 10. For sure. Especially from the rack, but I don't really believe in Fran from a rack. Fran is meant to be done from the floor, like pretty much all WODs. Obviously the overhead lifts or back squat WODs should be done from the rack, but any metcon should be taken from the ground.

It's bed time. All I can say is that 95# is HEAVY.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home