Sunday, March 22, 2009

5.10 baby!


That's right! Yesterday, I successfully climbed a 5.10 at the climbing gym, with NO REST. It was a 5.10 lead climb, but I top-roped it. So much fun. It was really overhanging, but with fairly big holds. It kind of played to my strengths a bit. But, that's okay. Afterwards my arms were pretty fried, but luckily there were no pullups in yesterday's WOD.

Let me start with Saturday. Saturday was Day 1 of this 3 day cycle, hence it was a metcon. I opted for "Barbara", but I decided to do 1/2 Barbara, but do chest-to-bar pullups.

5 Rounds, each for time of:
10 Chest-to-bar pullups
15 Pushups
20 Situps
25 Squats

2:05/1:54/1:55/2:06/1:55

The round that took 2:06 was because I was trying to time other people as well and all of a sudden I realized it was my turn to go, and I had to run over to the pullup bar, climb up on it, and go. My first round I think was long because I had to start my watch, climb up on the pullup bar, and go. Sometimes it sucks to be the timer.

In retrospect I should have done something like 12 pullups, 18 pushups, 24 situps, 30 squats. Maybe even 15/20/25/30 or something. 2 minutes is too short for each round. I was shooting for 3 minutes per round, and last time I did barbara each round took more than 6 minutes. Oh well, better too short than too long, for now. Also I was nursing a torn palm on my left hand, so it was good to keep the pullups short.

Yesterday, Sunday, was day 2. I really, really wasn't feeling it yesterday, but I got in the gym anyway. I slept until 11 a.m., went climbing for about an hour, and had a really chill day. I should have had tons of energy, but I think I am just catching up on all that energy I have been using up the last few months of working at the Cafe in addition to the gym. I am really looking forward to having just the gym, and being able to get more rest and train harder for the games.

Anyway, yesterday's WOD:

Back Squat 5-5-5
  • 45x5x2
  • 95x5
  • 115x2
  • 135x1
  • 155x5
  • 170x5 (recent PR, so I stop there)
Skill work: Snatch, work up to weight I will use for my WOD.

Metcon:
5 Rounds for time:
5 OHS, 95# (from floor)
10 Burpees

10:34 :(

My original plan was to use 100-105#, but take this from the rack. But, the racks were in use, so I decided to take it from the floor. I wanted to use 95#, which is really kind of hard for me to snatch (it's all in my head though). I knew it would be a challenge to snatch 95# after doing burpees, but I decided to go for it.

All in all, I guess it went okay. Rounds 2 and 5 I had some major trouble getting the weight overhead. In round 5 I kind of broke down a little bit, threw a bit of a temper tantrum at the bar. It was not pretty. I was exhausted and really emotional, and failing to get that weight overhead over and over and over brought me to tears. It was kind of embarassing. I have it on video, too. I'll post that tomorrow, for your rest day viewing pleasure :)

But, for now, here's a video of my recent 5RM PR in the back squat. Old PR was 95kg (208#) but I don't know how I did that.


Back Squat 170x5 090322 from Jenna Rettenmayer on Vimeo.

1 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

Congrats on the big squats and especially the 5.10. That's the benchmark number, after all. I've done 5.9s, but they were likewise of the finger-bucket variety (i.e., no technique needed), whereas I've had 5.9 flared cracks that I could hardly even get off the ground.

Looking forward to watching a good CF tantrum. ;-)

March 23, 2009 at 7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home