Monday, March 30, 2009

Back in the saddle again

After 2 days off and 1 short little Metcon yesterday, I woke up this morning feeling awesome. Actually, when I went to bed last night I noticed that I was looking (feeling) strong, and refreshed, and just HOT. I feel okay saying that, because I'm usually the type that goes around pinching her possibly-imaginary fat rolls and critiquing every little thing that is wrong with me. But, it's amazing what some sleep/rest/food can do for my attitude.

I had a big day planned - including one of the toughest metcons I can think of, that I have been pushing back for weeks at a time. On top of that, I had a 3RM back squat planned that would shatter my recent 1RM. Plus, I decided I would start the day with some snatching. I plan to attack "Isabel" soon, so I have to get ready for her. (Isabel is 30 reps for time of 135# Snatch - we use 85# at our gym, currently, but I'd like to do it with 95#)

Buy-In:

Burgener warm-up
Snatch
  • 35# - some hang power and hang squat snatches. Feeling good today.
  • 65# - a few singles. This felt good
  • 85# - didn't feel quite as good, but still not as heavy as 85# usually feels.
  • 105# - failed 2 reps (didn't even try to get under the first, didn't get my head through on the second, but nailed the 3rd).
I'm really pleased with that. 105# was my 1RM snatch up until March 1. Of course, you can see the video of my 110# snatch here. Actually, my old 1RM was 48kg, which is closer to 106#. Whatever. This is only my second near-max Snatch attempt since last July.

Then, I moved onto the back squat. Today, I focused on keeping a wider stance when I squat. Whenever I Clean and Jerk, or Snatch, I always land with a sorta wide stance. Not too wide, but sorta wide. Clearly, that's the way my body wants to squat. Warming up, it felt good.

Back Squat 3-3-3
  • 45x5x2
  • 95x5
  • 135x2
  • 165x3
  • 180x3 (recent 1RM AND 3RM PR)
  • 190x1 (recent 1RM PR)
So, I have no excuses for not getting that 190x3. That first rep felt easy, so I think I kinda let down my guard, so to speak. I think I didn't approach reps 2 and 3 with the same sort of intensity. It's a fine line we must walk in our heads. If you think for a second "I can't do this" then, you won't. But, if you are too confident and think "this is easy" you might not try hard enough to get a rep that is heavy. You have to think "this is really, really hard, but I can do it!" and then you can do it. You have to be ready to attack that bar - to not let the bar defeat you. In this case, the bar defeated me.

But, I'll show that bar. Next time, I'm getting 195 for 3!!!

Metcon
"Heavy Squat Grace"
100# Squat Clean and Jerk, 30 reps for time:

8:18

Only sort of pleased with that time. My goal was under 10, so I got my goal. But, I was also hoping to be a bit faster. My lower back was smoked from those goblet squats, so the front squat was the hardest part of this WOD. I also suck at push jerk, so that was really hard, and my form wasn't that great. I am going to attack the push jerk for a few weeks - work that sucker until 100# feels easy. I'm just not great with weight overhead. Look for a fun video of this WOD in a couple of days :)

And now, for your viewing pleasure, some videos of me squattin':


090330 Back Squat 180x3 from Jenna Rettenmayer on Vimeo.


090330 Back Squat 190x1 (3 rep attempt) from Jenna Rettenmayer on Vimeo.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Peyton Knippel said...

Great job! Bummer about not getting those other 2 reps knocked out but you know you have it next time.

Mikey looks like he was working hard too :)

March 30, 2009 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Thanks Peyton :) Mikey likes to work hard by getting in my way as much as possible. I think his kisses help though :)

March 30, 2009 at 8:22 PM  
Blogger Peyton Knippel said...

Lol I know what you mean. I have a WOD I did in my backyard that I named "Abby" after my springer because she kept on "assisting" me the whole time.

March 31, 2009 at 5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home