Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Happy Birthday Maggie!


Today is Maggie's birthday! Poor Maggie, for her birthday we did that horrible AMRAP in 30 minutes WOD that was on the mainpage 2 weeks ago (on MY birthday, incidentally). Normally nobody shows up for the 6:30 a.m. class on Wednesdays, so Meriah and I get to workout together. But, much to our surprise, today a car pulled up at 6:30, and in comes Maggie! She won't be able to make it to the normal 6:15 p.m. class due to birthday festivities. She's such an awesome dedicated crossfitter that she gets up early on her birthday to fit in her workout! Sweet!

As Many Rounds As Possible in 30 minutes of:
5 Pullups
5 Ring Dips
15 Situps

19 rounds
(plus pullups, ring dips, and 5 situps!)

Maggie and I are really close on a lot of things - ringdips being one of those things. Maggie is the only other girl at the gym (besides me) who has done WODs involving ring dips with no assistance band. I actually only did that 1 workout with no band, and since then my ring dip has gone downhill.

We decided that we would do all of our pullups Chest To Bar. Maggie usually does anyway - I don't know if she counts the misses or not, but she has the most fabulous pullups in the 6:15 p.m. class, and she always has the height, even if she doesn't make contact. I sometimes try to get her to NOT go chest to bar, for the sake of the intensity of the workout, but she refuses. Hey, that's okay with me!

We also decided we would try to do as many rounds as possible with no band for the dips. I was hoping for 15 rounds, and I was hoping to not use a band at all. I made 5 rounds before I gave in. From the beginning, my dips were singles, with a couple of doubles thrown in. I have done sets of 5 before, several times! I don't know where my ring dip went. I guess I got too comfortable with it.

Maggie made it 6 rounds with no band, and she did 19 rounds plus pullups and maybe some dips, too. She probably would have beat me, or at least we would have tied, if I had done 6 rounds with no band like she did.

Rock on!


Alrighty, I wanted to take a minute to discuss my diet, etc. As you can see from the above photo, I am slightly soft. I mean it! I weighed 132# this morning, naked and fasted. That's on my home scale, but I prefer to be around 128 on that scale. I think I might have gone through an over-eating phase last week, because I think I gained a little weight and this week I have not been hungry at all. The past 2 days I have had to practically force my food down. So, I skipped dinner last night (munched on some almonds and peanut butter instead - but not much at all), woke up this morning pretty hungry, and after the workout was only sort of hungry. I went home and had breakfast so that I wouldn't get too hungry in the middle of the 9 a.m. class, and so that I could stay after class and work on stuff at the gym. I got really, really full during breakfast.

I'm trying really hard to listen to my body and feed it what it wants. It's tough to go from the strict (albeit modified) Zone to "eat whatever you want as long as it's paleo". Paleo might be a stretch - I eat peanut butter and some dairy. But, I avoid sugar, and the bulk of my foods are meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, and little starch.

And, maybe i'm not soft. Maybe it's all in my head. I guess there's no way to really tell. I just wonder if my lack of a ring dip has anything to do with my extra 5 pounds around the midsection.

I also wonder if my lack of appetite is due to overtraining. I just took 2 extra rest days about 10 days ago, after the 10k. I have felt pretty tired since then, but I have just begun sleeping more, taking more naps, and, most importantly, NOT working my weekend away. I think I'll at least finish this cycle out, see how my appetite is, and then go from there.

There's a DH mountain bike race this weekend that I really, really, really want to do, and would give me the perfect excuse to "rest". It's in Spokane, WA. I wasn't going to go, but I might want to think about it. Of course, I have to ask the boss for the weekend off if I want to go. ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger Peyton Knippel said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I really enjoy how you just "Talk" on yours. It makes it very easy and interesting to read. If you do that race, let us know how it goes.

March 25, 2009 at 6:03 PM  
Blogger Meriah said...

You're not that soft.



oohoohoo not so funny now is it?

March 26, 2009 at 1:23 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

It's not that funny :)

March 26, 2009 at 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home