Friday, April 3, 2009

And I thought Fran was bad

Woke up with a terrible sore throat this morning. I had planned on working out between 6:30 and 9 (not for the entire time, but in that time frame!) but ate breakfast, then decided to come home and take a nap before the 9 a.m. class. To my surprise, I fell asleep almost immediately upon laying down, which I can almost never do so early in the morning (it was about 7 a.m.). I slept so hard, that between the time my alarm went off the first time at 8:20, and the second time at 8:25, I had an entire second dream.

I decided to work out this evening with Meriah. I had been working on greasing the groove all day for HSPU - and I actually got my first static HSPU! My brother and good friend Lauren were spotting me, but they didn't help at all! I think I must have had a lot more confidence with 2 spotters, so I went for it. I got a total of 5 or 6 HSPU today, static. I also spent some time doing sets of 2 with the purple band, which I think will help me A LOT.

Anyway, here's the workout:

Front Squat 3-3-3
  • 45x5x2
  • 75x5
  • 95x3
  • 135x1
  • 140x3
  • 150x3
  • 160x3
I think I had more in me. But, my recent 1RM is only 165 (all time 1RM is 198 aka 90kg) so I thought this was a pretty good showing. I'll go for 170 next week, and then my Strength Bias cycle is over and it's time to go for a 1RM again!

Skill work: Ring Dips. I did 2 sets of 5. It feels good to have these sort of back. My left shoulder is still kind of bugging me, but not bad. After seeing that the qualifiers happening this weekend had both HSPU AND Ring Dips, I am a little worried. Time to get to some serious work!

Metcon:

21-15-9 Reps for time of:
65# Thrusters
Burpees

6:15

Very, very happy with this. Makes me think that sub 4-minute Fran is possible after all. My goal was to do all my thrusters unbroken, but there was no way I was doing more than the 1st set unbroken. My shoulders were toast from those Burpees. I felt slow in the burpees, but I tried to keep moving. I need to get faster in these.

I think I am eating a little too much. I haven't been doing very well with keeping accurate track of calories. I am going to start measuring again. Not "dieting", per se, but at least keeping accurate track. It's hard to do, but I at least need to be doing my best. I think I have been eating too much in general. I feel....big. Too big. Hard to say. I wish I could see myself from the outside.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

You're too big? Please.

Nice work on the HSPUs and the Burping Fran. Must be hell on the legs trying to launch a thruster after a set of burpees. As if the round of 15 didn't suck enough in plain'ol Fran.

I'm a little puzzled by your recent 1RM v. front squat PR. Didn't you hit your max weights just last summer? Did you really lose that much strength? Hard to imagine that could happen unless you lost a bunch of weight, especially now that you're CFSBing. What changed?

April 4, 2009 at 4:44 AM  
Blogger jenna said...

Patrick,

Oh man, that round of 15. I got done with the 21 burpees and my boyfriend says "come on, the hard part's over". And I think: "Um.....right. I am pretty sure the hard part is going to be when I pick this bar back up!"

I think the main difference in my 1RM is mental. When I set those before, I had a highly respected coach yelling into my ears. Plus, a lot of the time, I didn't know what was on the bar. And I had to show off. Now, I know what's on the bar, and I guess I'm not trying as hard to not let my "coaches" down. I actually think I am getting back up to the weights I was able to squat before...I think we're going for a 1rm in a week or two.

Also, I was squatting heavy singles more than I am now...so I was just more used to it.

April 4, 2009 at 8:07 AM  
Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

So, you're saying that you're sandbagging yourself?

April 4, 2009 at 8:02 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Yeah, basically...

April 4, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home