Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Paleo diet, day 1

I've decided to go Paleo again. This will be my 3rd time, and this time I am making the fewest changes to my diet in order to go Paleo. I'm not weighing or measuring, but I am recording what I eat and when, and how I feel. This diet isn't so much performance based as health based. There is something that I add to my diet when I stop going Paleo that makes me break out. Okay, so it's aesthetic based. I want to have clear skin. So there.

Yesterday was day 1. No grains. No sugar. No dairy (yes, no butter). No vinegar (I still don't understand that one, but I'm going with it for now). I have eaten bacon but that's because we just bought some and I refuse to throw it away. I eat it in moderation, and I also don't really understand why bacon is a no-no. But, I will switch to chicken sausages for breakfast. No problem there. I have

Yesterday, I had an awesome workout (details below), and last night, I slept like a baby. The previous night, after my pre-diet splurge on Ice-cream, Knob creek and Ginger (with HFCS, no less), and cheeseburgers, I slept like crap. I woke up early, before my alarm, and didn't feel very good. I much prefer sleeping, thank you. So, hold the sugar, please.

Okay, on to yesterday's workout:

Clean 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

115-125-130-135-140-145PR-150PR

Also, I tried 155 twice, and both times I got under the bar, but couldn't stand up. WTF. I am really pissed I didn't stand up, and I was soooo close. So close, that in my head, I know I got a 155# clean. When I used to workout with Steve Gough and Mike, and I would clean 130#, I couldn't stand up with it, and Steve would always help me stand up. He always counted it as a clean, even though I didn't think I could do it without him. I'm sure next time I'll stand up under 155#, no problem. Now, if only I could jerk it.

But, I am super happy because not ONCE did I NOT drop under the bar. It was by far the best cleaning session I have ever had. I haven't gone for a max clean since the last time I set a 15# PR, and this was another 10 (almost 15#) PR. My technique was far better than before. I never thought I would get a 155# clean and jerk, and now I feel that if I keep at it, it's not that far off.


Jenna Cleans 140# from Jenna Rettenmayer on Vimeo.

Jenna Cleans 145# from Jenna Rettenmayer on Vimeo.

Jenna Cleans 150# from Jenna Rettenmayer on Vimeo.

Jenna Fails 155# Take 1 from Jenna Rettenmayer on Vimeo.

Jenna Fails 155# Take 2 from Jenna Rettenmayer on Vimeo.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

Awesome, Jenna. No Fear. Solid catch. You can clean even more weight once you can stand it up. What's your max front squat?

April 15, 2009 at 12:25 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Thanks, Patrick. I'm glad I got over my fear factor. My max front squat is 90kg = 198# - though I haven't gone for a max recently.

I think my problem is that I am dropping too far UNDER the bar, and it's crashing down on me. That makes it a lot harder to stand up. I need to meet the bar on the way down...

April 15, 2009 at 1:49 PM  
Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

Yeah, it's definitely difficult to bounce out of the bottom, if your stretch reflex kicks in just before a big weight lands on you. The trick is to think about the bar during your third pull rather than the bottom of the squat but to still get under it as fast as possible. I haven't gotten those two things to work together either.

Another thought: Do you catch your clean deeper than the bottom of your heavy front squat? Got a video of that front squat to compare depth to where you catch the clean? It's possible you might need to build your 1RM full-depth front squat, although watching you squat, it seems like you get plenty of depth.

April 15, 2009 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

I'm pretty sure I always squat ATG. I'd rather BE strong than APPEAR strong. Everyone's always saying that I go "too low", but I'd rather do that, so that I am ready to clean more.

Maybe now that I am confident I am getting PLENTY of height on that bar, I can focus more on pulling myself down to meet the bar on the way down.

That is 25# more than bodyweight :) I've never been rejected by a bar like that before.

April 15, 2009 at 2:04 PM  
Blogger Ev said...

Really impressive. You rock, woman. Good work on the diet clean up too. I haven't ventured into paleo but when I clean up my diet (no grains, no sugar) it goes a long way to making everything better.

April 15, 2009 at 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home