Friday, April 17, 2009

I'm going to do WHAT? In front of an audience?

I don't know what in the world I was thinking, but I signed up for a Weightlifting meet next weekend. It's being held at CrossFit 4800. Yes, our local rivals/competition. They extended an olive branch. I grabbed it. How could I not? I mean, I just set a 10# Clean PR, which brings me to a total of 20 pounds MORE than I could ever clean when I was at CF4800, being coached by world-class coach Steve Gough and former Olympian Mike Karchut.

Of course, then, I realized my Jerk isn't up to par. And, unfortunately, it's the Clean and Jerk. I decided to add some Split Jerk as a Buy-In to the WOD.

I also realize that I haven't gone for a heavy Snatch since my 110# PR that I set in February, when I was motivated by Dutch to do so. That will have to wait. Until Sunday.

Here's the latest workout:

WOD 090416

Buy-In: Split Jerk technique work. Go heavy, but not too heavy.

35-85-95-105-115-125-130PR

Good enough for me.

Metcon:
5 Rounds for time of:
95# Thrusters, 5 Reps
10 Box Jumps, 24" box

5:39

That beat my boyfriend by 4 seconds. Yes, I am proud of that one. Same size box. 35# less than my bodyweight, 65# less than his. 95# Thrusters have never felt so easy.

Cash-Out: Muscle up practice, strict transition work. I suck at these now. I keep going through one arm first at a time. That's no good. I am going to take a break from the kipping muscle ups for a while and just get my form back. I might even make a rule that I need to get a strict muscle up before I do any more kipping ones. Still thinking about that....

Here's a video of my 130# Jerk PR. It's a crappy Jerk. I need to take more video and jerk more, and maybe I will be able to fix my form. My goal for the weightlifting meet is a 65kg C&J and 53kg Snatch. That would be sick.

Jenna puts 130# overhead from Jenna Rettenmayer on Vimeo.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 17, 2009 at 1:16 PM  
Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

Let's try that again:

Sweet PR. I like your goals for the competition. You gonna try to hit them on your second attempt?

Classic cyclist's lifting form. Rock forward and drive off those overdeveloped quads. You don't do it as badly as me. Having been off the bike more often than not over the last few years, I'm finally strong enough in the posterior chain for that to be something that holds me back. Still, it's a hard habit to break. At least you've still got the quads to make the lift explosive that way.

April 17, 2009 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Patrick,

Hmmm, I don't know when I am going to try for those. I get super, super nervous in front of an audience, so I have to make my first attempt something pretty easy. I think my second attempt will be more like 60kg (assuming that next time I try, I can C&J 60kg) and probably just 48kg for the Snatch (again, depending on how it goes this weekend). Then, I'll bump it up for my final attempts. I'm not sure yet...

I need to remember to keep my chest up.....

April 17, 2009 at 3:04 PM  
Blogger Peyton Knippel said...

"95 pound thrusters have never felt so easy"........Someday I'll be able to say that too lol! Great work and good luck at the meet. Didn't one of those guys at the other gym just win some competition btw?

April 18, 2009 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger jenna said...

Peyton,

I don't know about anyone winning any competitions @ the other gym. You apparently know more about it than I do! There is a great weightlifter in Missoula who got 2nd in the Pan Am Masters last year....could that be it?

Jenna

April 18, 2009 at 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home