Wednesday, April 29, 2009

F.U.C.K.

I apologize for the obscenities, but I can't think of any better words at this moment to express how I feel.

I broke a rib.

Okay, maybe it's just badly bruised. I haven't gotten an X-ray. The point is, I am out of commission, for at least a few days, and then who knows how long I will take to heal, and what movements I will be able to do. 100# squat cleans? Doubtful. Chest to bar pullups? Not looking so good.

I am so pissed. My training was going along so well - I even starting linking the chest-to-bar pullups pretty well. I was setting PRs left and right. I was feeling amped and ready for the games.

And then I went to my boyfriend's hockey game last night. I had to go - I hadn't been to a single game all year because they are all really late at night. This one was at 8:30, which honestly, is too late and I would have rather just stayed home and gone to bed anyway. But, he asked me a million times if I would go, so I had to go.

I was standing on top of a bleacher bench (you just stand when you watch hockey games, normally), and I stepped over the next bench up and went for the footrest behind it - so that's 1.5 benches up. I don't know what happened, but the next thing I know my right foot has fallen through the crack and I can't breathe. Of course, I'm more embarassed than anything else at this point, so I get up quickly and act like I'm totally okay. I still can't breathe, and I can't ignore the pain on my right side. I didn't even see the rest of the game, because not only was I freezing my ass off, but I was too focused on my pain and worrying about the upcoming games.

I feel like all of the hard work I've put in the last 3 months is all for naught. Any inkling of a chance I had of doing well at the qualifiers has pretty much all disappeared. I'm depressed and I think I am going to go take a nap.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Meriah said...

Take a nap and rest for a week. We'll look at it then. You are strong and your diet is clean. Keep that up and you will heal nicely. Before all is a lost just rest, and we'll see in a few days.

April 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM  
Blogger Keanne said...

Get some rest and just trust that your fitness will carry you.

Feel better soon and keep your head up!

April 29, 2009 at 7:04 PM  
Blogger Patrick Haskell said...

Get that rest, Jenna. The way you've been training, a week off won't cost you anything at all. (Take it from someone who has taken too many unplanned weeks off in his Qualifier prep. Those weeks off were always followed by strings of well-rested PRs.)

Don't do anything for a week, and then check back in and see if you're ready for skill practice and select metcon work. You're strong as hell. That won't change. You just need to let yourself heal and do a touch of metcon maintenance, and you'll kick ass in the qualifiers.

April 30, 2009 at 3:30 AM  
Blogger Shana A. said...

Oh, Jenna. You will be okay. I did the same exact thing - well almost - I was trotting into the gas station with sunglasses on (about 3 weeks before Quals) and tripped over THE CURB! Fell flat on my face and got a big bruise on my PALM, and a big bruise to my EGO LOL!! I caught myself in pushup position and thought I was fine, but turns out I kicked a rib out of place and spent multiple appts at the Doc trying to get it back to normal. Anyway, moral of the story is that you will recover quick and do great! It's just a hint of pain that's left (it's in my back by my spine in the little tiny rib....) but your adrenaline will be so high you won't even notice it!
Rest is good advice. Do that and heal up and you will be fine!!

BTW - you were my favorite congratulatory post of all of them. You just can't beat a good "Fuck yeah!!"

May 2, 2009 at 6:37 AM  
Blogger jenna said...

Thanks everyone for the kind words and good wishes. So far, it's not really better, but at least it hasn't seemed to get any worse...

Patrick - thanks for being so reassuring - it's only been 3 days off and I feel like it's been forever. But, I know the rest is doing me good.

Shana - I can't believe that! It's so encouraging to hear that you went through a similar thing and then completely kicked ass in your qualifier. I think it's my little rib, too....I hope you're right and the adrenaline takes over so I can't feel a thing!

May 2, 2009 at 8:11 AM  
Blogger Ev said...

Oh, man. OUCH! I just read this. You heal fast, apparently.

May 7, 2009 at 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home